Thursday, 5 January 2012

Taking the ‘chance’ for a short break

As the weather forecast looks quite good for a week or so we have decided to take ‘Chance’ out for the week.

So yesterday, after packing the car (as usual to the gunnels) including the newly varnished woodwork for the rear deck, we got in and the engine wouldn’t start!  After a panicky phone call to our local tyre and battery man in the village and within the hour we were on our way with a new battery!

We arrived at Brinklow Marina mid afternoon to a very brisk wind blowing.  Before we’d finished unloading the wind speed had increased dramatically and we quickly got the heating on and the “Squirrel” lit and hunkered down to a celebratory mulled wine as we are now afloat again after 2 months – even if it’s only for a short while.

We slept reasonably soundly amid the howling gale and the bumping and rocking of the boat and, miraculously, Oscar didn’t need to go out for a wee in the middle of the night either.

Today, the wind continued to blow hard and James just managed to get a few necessary jobs done so that ‘Chance’ was ready to go out – including getting the wood on  the back.  The only casualty was a plastic dust pan blown overboard but with the help of the boat pole and running down the neighbouring pontoon we got it back. 


The wind has now abated and, as the photo shows, we’re now fairly calm and looking forward to getting cruising tomorrow.


The stern looks much better now the wood is back in place but we’re leaving the windbreak off until we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment